Thursday, August 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes - School Dazes


A friend of mine went back to grad school recently and she was telling me about it this past week. It sounded so great! So fun! Relaxing even! And for a moment, just a moment, I forgot. I forgot that I hate school. You know there are people who love taking notes and tests and listening to someone else tell them how the world works? Yeap.. Not me. I'm not saying that I needed to figure out E=MC2 for myself, but I'm just not the classroom type! So this list is a few things to remind me to take a few more years before going back for my Master's: 

1. 
I'm glad my life doesn't include reports anymore.. I'm thinking back to when I did one on Marie Curie and I have to laugh. I found it so fascinating that she married a man with the same last name: Pierre Curie. I was an adult before I realized that Curie is her stupid married name! Yeah, I'm an idiot. 

2. 
I always got in trouble! Anyone who knows me would not be surprised by the fact that my progress reports were typically focused on my inability to shut.up. Mrs. Mentekidis, my 8th grade religion teacher said it best at parent/teacher conferences in 1999. She said (in her Long Island accent): "Mrs. Beadmo, I cannot put ha anywheas! I put ha next to da quieat kids, she makes da quieat kids twalk! I put ha next to da loud kids, she makes dem louda! I could put ha next to a brick waoll and she would make da brick waoll twalk!"

Hehehe.

3. 
How could I add more books to the stack I'm currently reading? Yes, I'm one of those who will put a book down, start another one, have a third in my car and a fourth at my desk. Here's the list I'm reading now: 
Wedding Night by Sophia Kinsella
Rebuilt by Michael White & Tom Corcoran
My Sisters, the Saints by Colleen Campbell
The Great Gatsby by FS Fitzgerald
How to Stop Starting Other Books by Neve Gonnahapan

4. 
This is off topic, but I just reached 100 stations on my Pandora and apparently that is the max! I'm going to have to delete a few, but here are my current favorite stations that aren't going anywhere:
Phil Collins (don't judge), Dolores Keane, Ellie Goulding, Des'ree (seriously, stop judging!), The Commitments, Four Voices, Sharon Shannon, Cher Lloyd & Declan O'Rourke. Amen. 

Oh,yeah. I have ADD. 

Which brings us back to the list. 

5. 
I make teachers mad so easily! For example, I had this Math teacher in high school named Mrs. Winslow, who we of course called "Harriett" after the mom on Family Matters. On the morning after Senior Night (where the seniors stay out all night and T.P. the school), I fell asleep in Math class. She set the clock an hour ahead, had the whole class leave and I woke up thinking I'd slept through two class periods! When I started to go to lunch I saw her yuckin' in up in the library with my class thinking she was so clever! *Eye roll*. So I went and hung out in the art room. She gave me a detention for skipping class! Even my mom said, "Uh, yeah. You're not serving that." So I skipped the detention and got five more!

Don't get me started on the campus minister who punished me for falling asleep during a retreat. We were outside and I had sunglasses on so she didn't realize for hours!

Actually, it sounds like the problem was a lack of sleep....

6. 
I doubt they take reports in poem form anymore.. My AP English teacher senior year allowed me to do my reports in poem form, which helped distract from the fact that I rarely actually read the books. You haven't seen anything until you've seen a report on the Color Purple in 62 stanza iambic pentameter. Yes, I really did that. 

7. 
I wish school was like this: 


Hope you all have a great week, whether you (or your kids) are headed back to school or not.
Go check out Jen at Conversion Diary! She had a great post this past week about back-to-school!


8 comments:

  1. I love sophia kinsella, she's probably my 3rd favorite author after sarah kate lynch and sarah addison allen!! Sometimes I just want to laugh. I really want another shopaholic book, that would make my year.

    following you from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! Have you ever listened to them on audio book? The accents make them sooo much fun!

      Delete
    2. I've actually never listened to audio books! I'm a stickler for real books haha. I have a nook that my husband bought me in an effort to not have every room filled with books but I often end up buying the book version if i really liked it on my nook haha.

      Delete
    3. I hear you. :) I listened to one on a trip and was hooked! The accents are so entertaining!

      Delete
    4. I've been making a long drive on a regular basis lately. Usually I don't care for audio books because it takes so long to get through them, but they do help pass the time on that drive. I'm not really a music person.

      Delete
  2. I love your post! I'm now following :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you are actually reading a book about how to stop starting other books cracks me up! I am a book nerd and currently reading My Sisters the Saints too. I love it. And thanks for the recommendations for new books, always on the look out!

    Oh and I was reminded the other day when filling out notecards for book party I am hosting how much my hand hurts while writing anything more than a shopping list! I asked my husband, how did I do this for all these years, and he was like, what? Write? Hah! I'll be following you from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete