Monday, June 24, 2013

WWPFD

My landlord wants to sell the house I currently rent, so I’ve been looking for a new apartment. To tell you the truth, I’ve been quite spoiled in my current house.. Two bedroom, two bathroom, HUGE laundry room, attached garage, screened patio, brand new everything, gorgeous master bath, walk in closets, pool, fitness center, snow removal, landscaping and all outside maintenance. I mean, it’s nearly ridiculous!

And as I’ve been looking, nothing comes close to this place in the price range I can afford.

I know what you’re thinking..

“What!? You’re a youth minister! You must be rolling in dough!”

Well, cookie dough, maybe.

But cash?

Eh. Not so much.

Now, I’m not complaining! I’m very blessed! And this apartment search has provided a great way to think about what is really necessary in my life! I’ve just been asking myself:

What would Pope Francis do?

See, I found this little one bedroom in a small collection of apartments near the tiny downtown that is Westfield. It’s a block away from the library and very modest. It’s not dirty and gross, but there definitely are no frills.

And I think I’m okay with it!

See, I live in a very blessed part of the country and my friends are kind of looking at me like I’m crazy..

“One bedroom!? Why don’t you just buy?” (I’m not ready to buy! I don’t even know how to mow a lawn – don’t judge.. I have 5 brothers)

“Or you could even rent a house!” (Yeah, but then I’d have to find at least one roommate and I wouldn’t mind havin’ my own digs for awhile)

“What about those apartments on ___? They look really nice!” (Those apartments on ___ are crazy expensive!)

So I think God’s asking me to scale back, live simply and look at the context of the whole world to determine what is a true luxury.

I’ll keep you posted. And God knows I’ll do a little before/after post when I move in and decorate – my favorite thing in the world!


Uh.. Besides living simply, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment